Maffra and District Historical Society

M&DHS operates the Maffra Sugar Beet Museum, part of the Local History Collection at the Maffra Library, and a Dairy Museum at the Robotic Dairy at Winnindoo.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Victoria, Australia

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Who is Bill?

P05253VMFF

The cataloguing team are currently considering this snapshot of three young men thinning beet near Heyfield, in 1923. All three are holding the short-handled thinning hoes, with Alister Garside on the left, demonstrating the back-breaking nature of the work.

Alister has named his companions on the reverse of the photograph, thus:


P05253a

We are reasonably confident that the one on the left is George King, who is possibly Alister's cousin, but we are having trouble understanding Bill's name, the one in the middle. Is it Doll? Or Poll? Or a mis-spelling of Pohl?

George Alister Garside was born in 1907 in Port Melbourne, the son of George Garside and Ellen King. So we can assume Bill is a similar age. The surname Doll appears then only at Terang, and there is no William/Bill. The name Pohl is in small numbers in Victoria, but no Bill/William fits.

Alister will have been the one to name the photograph, but late in life, and he may have been unsure of Bill's name.

Any suggestions, anyone?

5 Comments:

Blogger Lenore Frost said...

Hi Linda,

I'm thinking the first letter of Bill's second name could be J - Joel? Joll? Try copying the letter and see if you think you are writing D or P - or J.

If it was a D or a P, I would expect the curly bits to be formed more like the B in Beet crop.

And just to be awkward, I think there are two different hands involved in the captions. Look at the two Bs in Beet.

Best wishes,

Lenore

February 23, 2010 at 12:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Linda,
I think it might be a misspelling of POHL. There are 2 William POHLs in the 1921 -1985 Death Index. One would have been aged 18, and the other 24, in 1923. Also, is it possible that it might read "K'well's (as in KINGSWELL's) beet crop"? I can't find any George King on the electoral roll until 1931 (farmer BUNDALAGUA), but there is a Herbert KING on the 1924 electoral roll (labourer) who is on the 1931 Electoral roll (C/o KINGSWELL, Boisdale)
Pam

April 27, 2010 at 8:54 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Hello Pam,

I have only just found your post (and fixed up the comments notification to me, so I get them better in future). Sorry.

I think you are probably right. I cannot see a birth for either, to confirm them. I would need to look at KINGWELL v KINGSWELL - I suspect it may be without the S

Thanks for your trouble

April 27, 2010 at 11:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Linda and Pam,

I hope this email finds you both well. I apologise for contacting you both out of the blue, but I have been directed to look at your blog through an Ancestry member I have been in touch with about some early research we are doing for a potential new BBC social history series.

To explain a little more, at the moment I am working as a researcher for the BBC in London and we have been doing some early research into a series of fascinating archives that we are keen to look into regarding the welfare of Victorian Britain, and in some instances this archive appears to mention family names.

We are now really keen to try to trace present day descendants of some of the names mentioned, which is why I am interested to find out whether you are a direct descendant of George Allister Garside yourself, or perhaps whether you know of present day descendants today?

From looking at this blog, I can see that you both mention researching the Garside line and you seem interested to research George Allister Garside, in particular.I think that George Allister could be the great Grandson of one the names mentioned in the archives: George Hickman (related through his mother, Ellen King).

As part of our research we are now really keen to make contact with present day direct descendants and would like to share more details about our project and the information we have found in the archives with them.

I would definitely love to chat further with you about this, please feel free to contact me directly on my email address below, and I hope you to chat with you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Nicola Harris
BBC Factual-Researcher, London
Nicola.Harris@bbc.co.uk

July 29, 2014 at 3:36 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Replied to Nicola direct
Linda

July 29, 2014 at 3:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home